Teen Driver Risks
Receiving a driver’s license is a right of passage for a teen. The new sense of freedom and independence, however, comes with risks. Teens have not yet learned the driving skills that are second nature to adults and do not have the experience to effectively respond to challenging situations. Certainly, some teens drive carelessly, but even the most responsible teens are at heightened risks of a car crash.
Berenson Injury Law was established in 1982 to represent car crash victims in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Our firm focuses exclusively on this one area of practice so that we can dedicate our entire time, resources and knowledge to reaching the maximum damages possible for every client. Bill Berenson is certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in personal injury law and has earned numerous honors, including the National Association of Distinguished Counsel “Top 1 Percent Attorney” award.
Our firm has substantial experience representing teens and their families. We can guide you and your teen through the difficult process of recovering compensation from your insurance company and from an at-fault driver. We consider the unique damages associated with teen injuries, including how permanent disabilities may affect your teen’s future opportunities and quality of life.Factors in Teen Accidents
2,333 teens ages 16 to 19 died in automobile accidents in 2015 and another 221,313 teens were treated in emergency rooms for crash-related injuries. 20 percent of 16 year-olds have an accident within the first year of driving. Lack of crucial experience and training contribute to the substantially higher rate of teen crashes, as do:
- Failure to wear a seat belt. A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) survey found that only 55 percent of teens regularly wore seat belts. 58 percent of teens who died in car crashes were not restrained.
- Cell phone use. According to a Pew Research Center study, nearly one-quarter of teens are online “almost constantly,” which alarmingly includes texting while driving. Distraction contributed to 58 percent of accidents of teen drivers.
- Friends in car. A teen is more likely to wreck with young passengers in the car, putting your child at particular risk when her friend is driving. The risk increases with the number of teen passengers in the car.
- Speeding. Speed is a factor in 30 percent of teen accidents. Excessive speed reduces the time in which a teen can react to a hazard and increases the potential he will lose control of the vehicle.
- Drinking. The good news is that the percentage of teens who drink and drive decreased by more than half over a two-decade period. Unfortunately, one-tenth of teens still drink and drive. Teens with .08 BAC or higher are 17 times more likely to die in a car crash than teens with no alcohol in their systems.
Insurance companies and adult drivers often try to push the blame on teens, even when the accident was not their fault. Another common tactic is to challenge the amount of economic damages based on the mistaken argument that the unemployed teen has suffered only minor loss in wages or value.
We treat your teen with respect and dignity after the crash and help guide him through the challenging legal process. We fight for the full damages to which your teen is entitled, including medical bills, future medical care, disabilities, diminished earning capacity, scarring, disfigurement, pain and suffering. We also arrange settlements and insurance payouts to most benefit your teen. For example, we can establish a trust that pays for your teen’s medical care and support while preserving the funds until your child has reached adulthood.Retain Knowledgeable Counsel to Advise Your Teen After a Car Crash
Berenson Injury Law can help your teen through the difficult aftermath of a car accident. Schedule a free consultation with our Dallas-Fort Worth accident attorney to learn more about your teen’s rights. We are available at 817-885-8000 or through our online appointment form. Berenson Injury Law handles your claim on a contingency basis where you only pay fees and expenses when you win your case, so there is no risk in calling.