How do you win your case?
Car accidents can be overwhelming. If you have been injured in a car accident and believe that someone else is at fault, you naturally feel that you are entitled to recover compensation for your damages. Screaming at her or him is not going to help you. Proving liability is the key, as the at-fault driver often denies responsibility and their insurance carrier refuses to make any payments.
The first step to winning your case is proving liability. To show that the other driver was at fault, you must prove by a preponderance of the evidence that he or she and/or the company that hired them or owned the vehicle was negligent.
The crash triggers a complicated legal process that involves drivers, police officers, witnesses, insurance companies, and lawyers.
What is negligence?
Let’s start with what you have to prove. Negligence is defined as “failure to take reasonable care to avoid causing injury or loss to another person.”
Proving liability can be tricky because to establish negligence, you must establish the following four elements. The at-fault driver doesn’t have to prove anything.
It is not enough to show a little negligence. This has to be established by more than 50% of the evidence that his or her specific act of negligence — not some other cause like bad weather or road conditions — was the main cause of the car crash.
In rare occasions, punitive damages may also be awarded to deter outrageous conduct, e.g. driving while intoxicated. For example, our law firm just recovered $250,000 for our client who hurt his shoulder and a large portion was due to the drunkenness of the defendant driver.
Role of police in the determination of fault
If a car or truck accident involves bodily injury or property damage, the police will examine the physical evidence and talk to drivers, passengers, and witnesses. Once the wreck has been investigated, the officer will prepare a police report that summarizes the facts and who is at fault.
The police might issue a traffic citation to the driver that they believe is responsible for the car accident. While the report and the ticket are not the same thing as proving liability, the testimony of the officer can make or break the case during negotiations before trial or in court.
Determining fault in a Fort Worth car accident
The determination of liability has a huge impact on you and the other parties because the liable party’s insurance will have to pay for the other parties’ damages. Once you have filed a claim with your insurance company after a car accident, the company will assign your claim to an adjuster.
A Fort Worth car accident lawyer can build a solid case on your behalf and beat the insurance company’s attempt to delay or deny your case.
The personal injury lawyer will speak with witnesses, study photographs, police reports, and medical records, examine vehicle damage, and verify details about the insurance policies.
What happens when your case goes to court?
Almost all cases are settled out of court. Very few cases go for trial. A trial can be a lengthy, frustrating, and expensive process. If your case makes it to court, a judge or a jury will determine who was at fault. This is a complicated subject that needs to be discussed with your injury lawyer.
While deciding case, the court will examine evidence and consider arguments from the attorneys of the parties involved in the case.
Police reports and insurance companies have no control over the outcome in a court case.
Statistics show that only about 1% of car and truck wrecks go to a trial. The other 99% are settled outside of a courtroom.
How much compensation can you recover in a car accident claim?
Factors that determine the amount of compensation you can recover include
Given below are the types of damages that a victim of a car accident may be able to recover in Texas.
Hire the best car accident attorney you can find
Berenson Injury Law is one of the top-rated car accident law firms in North Texas. We know how to get maximum financial recoveries for our clients.
If you retain our services, Mr. Berenson and his team will
If you or your loved one has been injured in a car accident anywhere in the Dallas – Fort Worth area due to the carelessness or negligence of another driver, you deserve to be duly compensated for the injuries suffered and other damages.
Call Berenson Injury Law for a free case evaluation at 888-801-8585 or click here. We will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.